About the Y
The Y is here for all—find out how to apply
Thanks to funds from donations and foundation grants from various organizations, the YMCA of Honolulu provides financial aid for individuals and families that can’t afford the full cost of Y membership or programs.
Individuals receiving aid receive the same services as those paying full fees. Aid is granted for the duration of a program, or for a specific time—up to 1 year. When assistance has expired, it is possible to renew with a new application.
How to Apply
Applications are held in complete confidence.
Step 1: Apply as soon as possible. The application must be submitted at least 1 week before the start of the program or membership. To start the process, contact our Service Center at (808) 678-4296 or email@example.com, 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.
Step 2: Based on instructions from the Service Center, share the following required documents:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Most recent W-2(s)
- Full tax return (1040, 1040EZ, 1040A, or Schedule C)
- Alternative documents accepted if W-2s or tax returns are unavailable:
- Copy of pay stubs (one month)
- Benefit statement (Social Security, Disability, or Unemployment)
- Government assistance benefits letter
- Letter from your employer verifying your employment and stating your annual salary
- For United States Military members: Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
Step 3: The Service Center team will confirm your final aid amount, based on verification of income and availability of funds. To get an estimate for the aid for which you might qualify, use our financial assistance online calculator here:
Receiving aid and want to give back?
As a non-profit organization, the YMCA is grateful to have volunteers. You might choose to write a brief note describing how the program or membership for which you receive aid has impacted your life. Share your Y story.