About the Y
Maui Family YMCA Wildfire Relief Fund
The wildfire tragedy on Maui has left us all in shock, filled with sadness, and overwhelmed by the immense loss of life, property, and the hardships that our Maui community faces today and most likely very far into the future.
Lahaina was especially hard hit. This cherished community holds immense cultural and historical significance – a place that families have called home for generations. It's a place where thousands of visitors have created unforgettable memories, and for many of our Y staff and volunteers, and our community, it holds personal connections that run deep.
In the aftermath, the Maui Family YMCA immediately opened its doors - offering showers, food, Wi-Fi, emotional comfort, and establishing the Maui Family YMCA Wildfire Relief Fund in support of anyone affected by the fires.
They have continued to work hard in collaborating, securing resources, and providing direct support to those whose lives have been forever changed.
In an update from their CEO, Mike Morris, he shared their appreciation for contributions from our Y’s across the country and community.
Mike also shared how the Maui Y has expanded their services to include initiatives such as:
- Housing impacted families and first responders in their parking lot who are living in their cars and in 30 solar-powered vans donated by Suite Maui Vans for those who have lost everything;
- Pairing those in need of shelter with generous individuals willing to open their homes;
- Establishing a day camp for children affected by the fires with Project Camp;
- Keeping their Y open 24/7 to ensure nobody is left unsupported;
- Flying in a plane full of baby formula from Seattle, made possible by a Maui Family YMCA board member connection; and
- Buying gift cards for Lahaina residents using Maui Family YMCA Wildfire Relief Fund contributions so they can buy shoes and other essential items, they need right now.
There are many wonderful organizations collecting funds and support for our Maui community, as well as opportunities to support individuals and families directly.
If you would like to support the Maui Family YMCA's efforts in helping individuals, children, and families impacted by the Maui fires, you can safely donate online.
Our YMCA of Honolulu ohana will continue to be here for the Maui Family YMCA and our Maui community, providing whatever support is needed.