About the Y
Leeward YMCA Kid’s Prep Full-Time Preschool
For Ages 2-5
At the Kid’s Prep Preschool we strive to:
- Create and foster a home-like environment that allows children to feel comfortable and safe while developing close relationships.
- Support, empower, encourage, and cultivate each child to recognize their own personal value.
- Incorporate a culturally diverse curriculum that represents Hawaii’s richly diverse demographic.
- Provide enriching experiences through the immersion of arts, culture, music, creative expression, and literature with opportunities for exploration and discovery and environmental awareness.
- Foster enjoyment in activities that support physical development.
Hours of Operation:
7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Closed on all Federal and State Holidays, as well as Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
- Weekly Option:
- Full Time (8:00am - 3:00pm): *$195 per week per child
- *We are extending our Leeward Preschool program through December 18, for $195 per week, a rate significantly subsidized by the Y. Currently, our Y is seeking public and private support to continue to offer the program at a more affordable rate for families. If our Y is not able to secure funding, the weekly fee will increase to $220 per week, effective December 21, 2020. This fee covers some of the actual indirect costs of the program.
- *Be sure to see other State, City and Private Funder Financial Assistance options by scrolling down.
- Monthly Option Coming Soon:
- Full time Monday – Friday (8:00a.m. – 3:00p.m.): Rate pending.
- Part time Monday – Friday (8:00a.m. – 11:30a.m. OR 11:30a.m. – 3:00p.m.): Rate pending.
Pick Up/Drop Off
Please be sure to drop off and pick up your child between hours listed below. If there are circumstances in which your family needs a later drop off time for a specific day, please reach out to the branch at 808-445-1449.
- Drop Off: 8 am - 8:45 am
- Pick Up:
- Part-Time Morning Program: 11:00am - 11:30am
- Part-Time Afternoon & Full-Day Program: 2:30pm - 3:00pm
Drop off and pick up is done curbside with parents and guardians remaining in their cars. When you arrive in the drop off lane, your child's temperature is taken, and you will be asked a short series of health screening questions by a staff member who is wearing gloves, eye protection, and a mask. A staff member then escorts your child to wash their hands and then to their assigned group. During pickup, YMCA staff members are not permitted to buckle any child into their car seat.
Financial Assistance Options
- All families are encouraged to apply for the Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Care Connection Hawaii subsidy that provides subsidies for childcare. Currently, DHS has lifted income restrictions, so even families who normally would not qualify due to their income are eligible. Information and application is here.
Families may experience delays in their application approval and payment due to the high volume of applications coming into the DHS.
- The City and County of Honolulu COVID-19 Household Hardship Program provides up to $500 per month for childcare services based on income. Income guidelines and applications are here.
- Keiki O Ka 'Aina's HELP for Child Care Program provides assistance for children up to 12 years of age. Children must be Native Hawaiian, American Indian, or Alaska Native. To apply and for more information, go here.
Focus on Safety
- To promote a safe environment for all youth participants and our staff; please do not send your child to preschool if they have a fever or are not feeling well.
- Health Screening: As an extra precaution, all children and staff are required to be screened daily at each YMCA Branch and will not be allowed to attend if they:
- Have a fever of 100.4° F or more in the last 48 hours; or
- Are experiencing cold or flu symptoms; or
- They or someone in their household has an active or suspected case of COVID-19; or
- They or someone in their household is currently mandated to quarantine by the State of Hawaii.
- Face Masks: All staff are required to wear non-medical grade (cloth) masks. Although it's not required by State and City orders that children 5 years and younger wear masks, we ask that you send a non-medical grade (cloth) mask to program with your child every day. We will practice periodic mask wearing with the children and use it as a learning experience.
- Class Size: We will operate in a small class of 21 or less, staffed with a Preschool Teacher, and/or an Assistant Teacher and Aide depending on the number of children enrolled in the program. Under the guidelines of safe social distancing and sanitation, program activities will include arts and crafts, S.T.E.A.M., reading time, games, indoor and outdoor activities and assistance with any Distance Learning assignments and/or homework.
Please ensure your child brings the following items each day:
- Wet Wipes
- At least one change of clothes. Please label all items.
- A blanket/sleeping mat for the child during quiet and rest times
- A jacket
- Foot wear for outdoor play
- A daily lunch and 2 daily snacks (morning and afternoon) for children enrolled in full day program OR A daily lunch and 1 daily snack for children enrolled in part-time program
- A daily or refillable water bottle
- 3 Composition books (ruled)
- November 2 - November 6: Completed!
- November 9 - 13: Completed!
- November 16 - 20 [Weekly fee is $195.]
- November 23 - 25 [Three-day week fee is $150. No Program on November 26 and 27 in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday.]
- November 30 - December 4
- December 7 - December 11
- December 14 - December 18
- Download the Enrollment Packet