Healthy Weight and Your Child Activity Leader
|Position:||Healthy Weight and Your Child Activity Leader|
|Location:||Leeward & Waianae|
|Salary Range:||$15.00 - $25.00/hour|
Healthy Weight and Your Child (HWYC) program is an evidence-based lifestyle change intervention designed to address childhood obesity. This program is for children and their families, ages 7-13, with a body mass index in the 95th percentile or higher. This family-based weight-management program focuses on nutrition education and physical activity to encourage healthier eating habits and an active lifestyle to achieve a healthy weight. The program is co-delivered by 2 staff team members: a Content Leader and an Activity Leader. The leaders work closely with one another to support participants and their families. It is important that the leaders are comfortable working as a team, collecting health data; enjoy working with children, and addressing sensitive topics with participants and their families.
The Healthy Weight and Your Child (HWYC) Activity Leader’s main responsibility is to deliver fun and safe physical activity to program participants. They will provide support and guidance to program participants, and maintain fidelity to the curriculum. An important secondary role is to be a co-lead during the delivery of the nutrition, goal setting, action planning, and other healthy habits content. The Activity Leader should be comfortable supporting program content and using facilitating skills to assist with time management. The Activity Leader should have experience with delivering fun physical activities and engaging children with excess weight.
Responsibilities that fall under the Activity Leader include:
- Create an inclusive, safe, and fun environment for children ages 7-13 to learn, feel supported, and engage in group physical activity;
- Motivate children and adults to participate during the entire course of the physical activity portion of the session;
- Participate in all the activities and serve as a role model for the children and adults;
- Support group discussions and dynamics during the content delivery portion of the class.
- Engage children and their families in a fun, comfortable, and inclusive atmosphere;
- Facilitate group discussion around nutrition and healthy habits;
- Encourage parent or caregiver support and participation;
- Encourage goal setting and action planning;
- Ability to participate in the activities and serve as a role model for the children and adults;
- Encourage parents and caregivers to become aware of their surroundings and triggers that may cause unhealthy food choices;
- Serve as a co-lead during the second hour of the sessions to support the Activity Leader and engage in physical activity with the families.
- Must understand data collection and possess strong computer skills
- TB test required
- CPR / 1st Aid required
- College degree in Physical Education, Health Sciences, or related field preferred
- SPARK certification (required within 3 months of hire)
- YMCA’s Facilitating Change in Small Groups certification (required within 3 months of hire)
- YMCA’s Healthy Weight and Your Child certification (required prior to program delivery)
- YMCA of USA’s HIPAA certification (required prior to program delivery)
- Experience in Facilitating Groups preferred
- Experience working with children and/or families