Health & Fitness
Chronic Disease Programs
Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring
COVID-19 Update on Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program
This program is currently on hold until further notice. Please contact the Call Center for updates at 808.678.4296 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To Be Eligible For YMCA's Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Not have experienced a recent cardiac event
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Not be at risk for lymphedema
- An evidence-based program that may lower blood pressure
- Personalized support from a trained Healthy Heart Ambassador
- Access to monthly nutrition seminars
- Tips for maintaining cardiovascular health
- Heart healthy nutrition education
How The Program Works
Participants will work with trained YMCA Healthy Heart Ambassadors for four months. During this time, participants will be encouraged to self-measure their blood pressure at least two times per month, attend two personalized consultations per month, and attend monthly nutrition education seminars. Participants will log their blood pressure readings. The Y will provide options for participants who need a home blood pressure monitor.
Healthy Heart Ambassadors
YMCA Healthy Heart Ambassadors will train participants to properly use a blood pressure cuff and emphasize the value of regular self-monitoring. Ambassadors will also provide ongoing personalized support as they strive to achieve program goals.
The Healthy Heart Ambassadors are available each week for personalized 10-minute consultations to support participants as they continue to better manage their blood pressure. Participants will also receive personalized weekly emails, calls or text messages from an Ambassador.
Nutrition Education Seminars will highlight the importance of practicing healthier eating habits.
Seminar topics include:
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
- Reducing sodium intake
- Shopping, cooking and food preparation
- Eating for your heart
Each 60-minute seminar will also offer an area for participants to measure their blood pressure with coaching for proper measuring techniques from a Healthy Heart Ambassador.