Youth & Adult Programs
A+ After School Program
A+ After School Program
At the Y, After School Programs are more than just kid-watching. It's about engaging your children during those critical hours keeping them safe and thriving.
Through a partnership with the Department of Education, the YMCA of Honolulu provides after school care for nearly 7,000 children in grades K-6 through A+ programs at public schools across Oahu.
Preparing for A+ After School Registration 2023-2024
Online registration for the A+ Program for School Year 2023-2024 is now open. Please see your A+ site coordinator if you need a hard copy registration form.
Start collecting any required information now to prevent delays in the submission of your child(ren)'s registration. Students will be accepted into the program in the order that completed registration forms (online or hard copied) are received by the YMCA of Honolulu.
All “latchkey” children enrolled in public elementary schools in K-6, are eligible to participate if they are living with parent(s), guardian(s)*, or foster parent(s)/guardian(s)** who is/are:
- Employed during the hours of A+ operations;
- Working in the A+ Program;
- Attending colleges, universities, or other types of schools during the hours of A+ operations - class schedule including day/time is required; or
- Engaged in job training programs during the hours of A+ operations.
*If either biological parent is NOT authorized to pick up, explanation and custody documents are required to be submitted each school year.
**Foster documents are required to be submitted each school year.
Online registration opens on May 1, at 4 pm. It is the quickest and easiest way to submit your child(ren)’s registration. We highly RECOMMEND using a computer when filling out the registration due to its length. There are multiple tips available on a computer that are difficult to see on a mobile device.
Self-employed parents and independent contractors can usually make their own schedules and need to verify their working status.
- If you do NOT receive a W-2 at the end of the calendar year from your employer, or you receive a 1099 form from the company you work with, additional documents will be required.
- Please submit a copy of your GE tax license AND a copy of either
- income tax return including your Schedule C or
- printed business checking account
If your child has a disability or special needs, the district will provide reasonable modifications as is necessary to afford your child an opportunity to participate. If your child has an IEP, 504 or an aide at school during school hours, you will need to fill out the accommodation form.
Applications MUST be submitted each school year along with your 2023-2024 A+ Registration.
- Proof of income is required. If submitting pay stubs, one full consecutive month of most current pay stubs for all parents/guardians living in the household. Household members consist of parents/guardians and all dependent children. Please be sure to include income from all sources including; salary, child support, alimony, etc. If the A+ child(ren) reside(s) in more than one household, please use the household income and members in which the child resides in the majority of time during the school week (Monday through Friday).
- Please use our Income eligibility Estimation Calculator below to see if your family may qualify.
- Submit the required supporting documentation using our secured site.
The monthly fee is determined by the DOE and is currently $200 per child. However, DOE will use federal funding to offset $80/month per student in A+ fees for all latch-key families who do not qualify for the DHS income-based subsidy. This will reduce the monthly A+ fee from $200/month to $120/month for the 2023-24 school year.
This fee is due on the 1st program day of each month. Your first month’s program fee will be due on the first A+ program day.
All names listed as authorized pickups are required by the State to be 18 years of age or older and have a phone number where they can be reached. If you wish to release your child to a minor, please fill out the Release of an Unaccompanied Child Form.
BSP will be offered at limited sites.
- A minimum enrollment of 40 is required.
- The fee is $175 per child per month and is due on the 1st program day of each month.
- Please refer to our website for a list of possible BSP sites. Online registration will be available. Please check our website for updates.
If you have any questions regarding the registration process, please contact us as soon as possible by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 808-678-4292.
Check if You Qualify and Apply for a Full A+ Fee Subsidy
The State Department of Human Services (DHS) provides funding for subsidies to cover the cost of the monthly Afterschool A+ program fee to assist families in need. We have been informed that DHS has adjusted the eligibility schedule, increasing the maximum income eligibility levels.
Families who previously exceeded the income eligibility may now possibly qualify for this subsidy. The subsidy will cover the full monthly program fee.
Please use this income eligibility estimation calculator to check if your family may qualify. Please note that this calculator will provide just an estimate and does not guarantee eligibility.
Enter the number of people in your household and your maximum yearly gross income from all sources.
Please complete the Tuition Subsidy Application and submit the required supporting documentation listed on page two of the application by uploading your documents using our secured site.
Please complete your DHS Subsidy application and upload your required documents when you register for your A+ program. Otherwise, your A+ registration will be processed at the regular rate of $120.
The subsidy application deadline for each month is the 10th for the eligible family subsidies to be applied to and start the following Month; and will run through the rest of the school year.
What Happens After You Submit Your A+ Registration?
We are processing registrations in the order that we receive them. Once we have completed processing your child(ren)'s registration you will receive a separate email notification on the status of your child(ren)'s enrollment.
You can also log into your A+ online account to check on your enrollment status and also to set up your auto-payments. When you log into your A+ online account you will see either:
- Enrolled (site), or
- Waitlisted* (site), or
- If there is no status update, it means that your registration is still being processed and there may be missing information needed. Please re-check your email [both your inbox and "SPAM" folders] to be sure that you did not miss an email from email@example.com that requested additional information or documents that were missing from your registration. You need to submit the requested information as soon as possible in order for us to complete your registration process; OR if you had re-submitted requested information or documents, you may have received another email requesting an additional update. Please be sure to provide requested updates as soon as possible.
*Waitlist: Some A+ school sites have reached capacity due to staffing challenges, capacity limits, or may not have reached the minimum enrollment requirement. Please know that we are working on resolving these limitations with promotions to hire more staff (including offering a $250 Y Credit referral bonus), working with schools to expand capacity, and for those sites that have not met the minimum enrollment, we will be promoting registration at those impacted school sites.
Helpful Guides and Links
- Instructions on how to log into your online A+ account
- Set up auto payments online
- A+ Parent Handbook
- Current COVID-19 DOE Guide for School and A+ Programs
2023-24 A+ Locations
Sites at Full Capacity (New Registrations will be placed on Waitlist)
Sites Still Accepting Registrations