Preschool & Early Learning Programs
Full- and Part-Time Preschool: Kid's Prep
For Ages 2-5
Our full- and half-day preschools strive to:
- Create and foster a home-like environment that allows children to feel comfortable and safe while developing close relationships.
- Support, empower, encourage, and cultivate each child to recognize their own personal value.
- Incorporate a culturally diverse curriculum that represents Hawaii’s richly diverse demographic.
- Provide enriching experiences through the immersion of arts, culture, music, creative expression, and literature with opportunities for exploration and discovery and environmental awareness.
- Foster enjoyment in activities that support physical development.
- Provide exciting learning opportunities that nurture cognitive, social-emotional, physical and creative development to ensure each child is well prepared to enter school.
8:00am – 3:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Closed on all Federal and State Holidays, as well as Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
- Full-Day Preschool: Monday – Friday (8:00am – 3:00pm): $875* per month
- Half-Day Preschool: Monday – Friday (8:00am – 11:30am OR 11:30am – 3:00pm): $450* per month
*Financial Assistance is available. View State, City and Private Funder Financial Assistance options below.
Late Pick-Up Fees (Effective as of April 19, 2021):
There is a charge of $5.00 for each 5-minute increment of care, that will be assessed for parents/guardians arriving after the pick-up window (e.g. pick up between 1-5 minutes late will result in $5.00, 6-10 minutes late will result in $10.00, etc.). Please have your exact amount of payment available as our staff do not have access to change, or the charge will be added to your electronic fund transfer account.
- All families are encouraged to apply for the Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Care Connection Hawaii subsidy that provides subsidies for childcare. Currently, DHS has lifted income restrictions, so even families who normally would not qualify due to their income are eligible. Information and application is here.
Families may experience delays in their application approval and payment due to the high volume of applications coming into the DHS.
- Keiki O Ka 'Aina's HELP for Child Care Program provides assistance for children up to 12 years of age. Children must be Native Hawaiian, American Indian, or Alaska Native. To apply and for more information, go here.
- To promote a safe environment for all youth participants and our staff; please do not send your child to preschool if they have a fever or are not feeling well.
- Face Masks: All staff are required to wear non-medical grade (cloth) masks at all times except when outdoors, or when eating or drinking or in the pool. Although it's not required by State and City orders that children 5 years and younger wear masks, we ask that you send a non-medical grade (cloth) mask to program with your child every day. We will practice periodic mask wearing with the children and use it as a learning experience.
- Class Size: We will operate in a small class of 21 or less, staffed with a Preschool Teacher, and/or an Assistant Teacher and Aide depending on the number of children enrolled in the program. Under the guidelines of safe social distancing and sanitation, program activities will include arts and crafts, S.T.E.A.M., reading time, games, indoor and outdoor activities and assistance with any Distance Learning assignments and/or homework.
Please drop off and pick up your child between hours listed below. If there are circumstances in which your family needs a later drop off time for a specific day, please call the Y Branch.
Leeward Y: 808-445-1449
||Drop Off||Pick Up|
|Half-Day Morning Program||8:00am-8:30am||11:00am-11:30am|
|Half-Day Afternoon Program
Drop off and pick up is done curbside with parents and guardians remaining in their cars. When you arrive in the drop off lane, your child's temperature is taken, and you will be asked a short series of health screening questions by a staff member who is wearing gloves, eye protection, and a mask. A staff member then escorts your child to wash their hands and then to their assigned group. During pickup, YMCA staff members are not permitted to buckle any child into their car seat.
Please ensure your child brings the following items each day:
- Mask in a ziplock bag with their name on it.
- Wet Wipes
- At least one change of clothes. Please label all items.
- A blanket/sleeping mat for the child during quiet and rest times
- A jacket
- Foot wear for outdoor play
- A daily lunch and 2 daily snacks (morning and afternoon) for children enrolled in full day program OR A daily lunch and 1 daily snack for children enrolled in part-time program
- A daily or refillable water bottle
- 3 Composition books (ruled)
For more information, please contact Krystal Kahawai, Program Director, at 808-678-4274.