Details on Fitness Centers, Classes, Pools, Workout Childwatch, Locker Room guidelines and more.
Fitness Centers at each Y Branch include exercise machines, stretching and functional training areas, free weights, and weight rooms. Specific equipment varies by location.
New members may schedule a free guided workout to learn how to use basic equipment and machines. A guided workout is done with one of our Healthy Lifestyles Coaches and will acquaint you with the equipment, showing you how to use the machines properly. While it is not a personal training session and Healthy Lifestyles Coaches will not be prescribing a workout, you will be provided guidance on how to use the machines you are interested in. Guided workouts are up to 60 minutes in length to provide enough time to cover a variety of equipment, if requested.
Schedule a guided workout at the Welcome Center, through our Call Center at 808-678-4296, or submit a request online:
Additionally, there are staff available to help in the Fitness Center with questions you might have about equipment or exercises.
Children under age 13 must be supervised by an adult in all areas of the facility, or they must be enrolled in a supervised program activity. For their safety, children are not permitted in some areas of the fitness facility. Check with the Welcome Center at each branch for details.
- Attire: A face mask (covering nose and mouth), athletic shoes, and shirts must be worn during exercise in all workout areas. Proper swimsuits must be worn when using swimming pools.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the workout areas or locker rooms, except water. Vending machines and eating areas are available at each Y Branch.
- Note: Due to COVID safety restrictions, community gathering and eating areas are currently closed.
- Please limit your cardio equipment usage to 30 or 45 minutes per session depending on your YMCA Branch. Please follow posted signage.
- All YMCA facilities are smoke-free environments.
- Please follow all YMCA Code of Conduct rules.
- Kaimuki, 4835 Kilauea Avenue, Honolulu, (808) 737-5544
- Kalihi, 1335 Kalihi Street, Honolulu, (808) 848-2494
- Leeward, 94-440 Mokuola Street, Waipahu, (808) 671-6495
- Mililani, 95-1190 Hikikaulia Street, Mililani, (808) 625-1040
- Nu’uanu, 1441 Pali Highway, Honolulu, (808) 536-3556
- Windward, 1200 Kailua Road, Kailua, (808) 261-0808
Group Exercise classes are free* to attend. There are more than 80 classes per week, and categories include cardio, dance, strength, Pilates, yoga,water exercise, and more. Choose from in-person indoor, outdoor, and pool classes and also live stream and on-demand classes.
Advance online reservations are available and highly recommended for in-person group exercise classes. While “walk-in” spaces may be available, making a reservation ensures you have a spot!
Y members may also register for unlimited Live Stream Group Exercise Classes - more than 80 are offered weekly - through our online reservation system or mobile app.
*Jazzercise classes (in-person at Kaimuki and live stream) cost an additional $15 per month to participate in unlimited classes for the month. The fee must be prepaid prior to registering.
All fitness levels are welcome to attend classes.
- You can choose from in-person indoor, outdoor, and pool classes. Your Y membership also includes our Virtual Y where you can take classes from the comfort of your home via our live stream classes (more than 80 classes a week) or through our online collection of more than 40 on-demand video classes.
- When attending a new class, please arrive (or check in online) 10 minutes early, and let the instructor know you’re a beginner. The instructor can offer tips, tell you what equipment is needed, and offer alternate exercise options.
- When taking an in-person class, standing in the middle of the room is a good idea so the instructor can see your form, and you can watch the front row for visual cues.
- In-Person Group Exercise Class Reservations: Advance reservations are available and highly recommended for in-person group exercise classes. While “walk-in” spaces may be available, making a reservation ensures you have a spot! Y members can reserve their group class spot up to two days in advance, beginning at 8 am, using our online reservation system (MotionVibe) or YMCA Mobile app.
- Live Stream Group Exercise Class Reservations: Y members may also register for unlimited Live Stream Group Exercise Classes - more than 80 are offered weekly - through our online reservation system or mobile app.
- If you have already set up your online reservation account, to make reservations for your Group Exercise Class.
- If you need to set up your online reservation account, create your MotionVibe account and learn how to use the mobile app.
- View Current Class Schedules
- Need Help? Email us at email@example.com or call us between 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, at 808-678-4296 for assistance.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your in-person group exercise class start time. Because in-person group exercise spots are very limited due to COVID safety guidelines, any members who are not checked in 10 minutes before the start of class will be removed from the list, and the next member on the wait list will receive a notification that there are openings.
- Please wait to enter the studio or set up equipment needed in class until the previous class is finished.
- We are currently encouraging members to bring their own fitness equipment for classes that utilize this. Equipment and sanitizing supplies will also be available for those members who do not bring their own, and we ask that members disinfect any equipment used before and after use. No equipment sharing will be allowed between participants during class.
- Food and drink (other than water) is not allowed.
- Bring a towel and filled water bottle.
- For our live streaming group exercise classes, please log in 10 minutes before class starts as we do not let members into live stream classes 5 minutes after class starts. This is for safety reasons, to ensure all members do not miss the warm up.
- “Land” Group Exercise Classes: Kaimuki-Waialae, Kalihi, Leeward, Mililani, Nu’uanu, Windward
- “Pool” Group Exercise Classes: Kaimuki-Waialae, Leeward, Mililani, Nu’uanu, Windward
Heated pools for lap swim, exercise, and family swim are available at the Kaimuki-Waialae, Leeward, Mililani, Nu’uanu, and Windward Y Branches. Nu’uanu and Windward Y have saline heated pools.
- Please don’t use the pool if you are feeling unwell, have an open cut or blister, or suspect you have a communicable disease.
- Please shower before entering the water or after use of toilet facilities.
- Diving is prohibited in water less than 9 feet deep.
- Spitting or spouting water from your mouth, or blowing your nose in the pool isn’t allowed.
- Do not run or engage in rough play.
- Diaper changing is allowed in restrooms—but not in the pool area.
- Animals are not allowed.
- Glass and breakable items are not allowed.
- Food and drink (other than water) is not allowed.
- For aquatic staff training, the Y does periodic safety drills by simulating emergencies—your cooperation in following staff instructions during a drill is greatly appreciated.
Note: Due to COVID safety guidelines, locker rooms and showers will gradually reopen at the branches. Currently, they are only available at Nu'uanu and Leeward.
- Please leave large bags and valuables at home. For storage of keys or personal bags, we ask members to either use one of our express lockers with their own personal lock, or members may wear a fanny pack to store their personal items while exercising. For safety reasons, we do not allow any bags or backpacks on the floor of our facility, and we are not able to store any personal items or bags at our Welcome Center.
- Lockers are available for daily use by members and guests. Please bring your own lock, and remove it at the end of each visit. Padlocks are also available for purchase at many YMCA locations. Locks left overnight on lockers will be removed. Valuables cannot be accepted for safekeeping at the Welcome Center.
- Members who use the pool will have access to outdoor showers. We will have small baskets or a designated area for pool users to keep their small bags, keys, and towels in while they are in the pool.
The YMCA's practice is to welcome all members and do our best to accommodate everyone. Children ages five and younger may enter the YMCA locker rooms of their opposite sex parent or guardian. If family locker rooms are available, we strongly encourage you to use these locker rooms with children of the opposite sex.
Due to COVID safety protocols, towel service is no longer available at Leeward or Nu’uanu Y Branches. Please bring your own towels.
The Y is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. Contact the Welcome Center to retrieve lost and found items. All content that is not recovered will be donated to a local charity.
All cell phone usage and picture taking is prohibited in all locker rooms for the security and comfort of members and guests. Please restrict picture taking to your own child. Violation of this policy can result in consequences up to termination of membership.
Childcare While You Work Out
Note: Temporarily suspended at this time due to current City restrictions.
When you come to work out at the Y, bring your children along for the fun that awaits them at our Childwatch Center. They’ll participate in age-appropriate activities in a safe environment. Activities and hours of availability vary by location.
- Up to 2 hours per day of Childwatch is included in Y Family Memberships. Other members may reserve up to 2 hours of childwatch per day at $5.00 per hour.
- Advance reservations are required and are available on a first come, first served basis. Reservations can be made online up to 3 days in advance and up to 1 day in advance prior to your child’s visit.
- Check in at the Welcome Center. You will then be directed to and asked to sign your child in at the Childwatch Center before you go work out. If your child has any special needs or medical conditions,please let the staff know.
Kids ages 6 weeks to 10 years are welcome.
- You must remain in the building while your child is at the Childwatch Center.
- Visit times are limited to 2 hours per day, per child.
- You will be contacted immediately if your child is injured, inconsolable after 15 minutes, showing symptoms of illness, needs a diaper change, or shows aggressive/inappropriate behavior.
- Please don’t bring a child who is ill or showing signs of illness.
- Please don’t bring toys or personal belongings, except comfort items like a pacifier or blanket.
- Food or snacks aren’t allowed, except water and pre-mixed formula marked with date and time made.
- All comfort items, water cups, and formula must be labeled with first and last name.
- The YMCA doesn’t allow private child care by a YMCA employee for any YMCA participant. Staff are not allowed to personally babysit any child they meet in Childwatch or other Y programs.
- If your child wears diapers, please bring them in a clean, dry diaper.
- Please bring extra clothes in the event of an accident.
All Childwatch team members are required to pass a criminal background check and receive annual safety training on:
- First Aid
- Child abuse prevention
Kaimuki-Waialae, Kalihi, Leeward, Mililani, Nu’uanu, and Windward Y Branches