Summertime means beach and pool time for many kids and adults. While having fun, the YMCA of Honolulu reminds the local families to keep safety first that when in or around the water. With this in mind, the Y offers swim programs that teach water safety skills and give kids and adults the chance to explore the many health benefits of swimming.
It’s important to make sure children and adults are confident in the water to ensure they have a fun and safe experience. The Y encourages all kids and adults to learn how to swim. It’s never too late. Basic swimming skills and water safety practices save lives every day.
When in and around water, the YMCA of Honolulu recommends the following safety precautions for children and adults:
- Only swim when and where there is lifeguard on duty; never swim alone.
- Adults should constantly watch children in and near the water. If multiple adults are in the vicinity, designate a "water watcher" so everyone knows who is "on duty."
- Inexperienced swimmers should take precaution and wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device (PFD) when in, on or around the water.
- Children who are beginners should stay within arm's reach of an adult in the water.
Over the years, the YMCA has taught the joy of swimming to thousands of infants, kids, teens and adults in Hawaii. Registration is available for any session year-round. Choose from day, evening and weekend swimming class schedules designed to fit your busy life.
Youth Swim Team
This competitive program offers children and teens ages six to 18 years an opportunity to work with trained coaches to improve swimming skills, endurance and promote a healthy lifestyle. Participants must be able to swim 50 meters of freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke and 25 meters of butterfly.
The Master Swim Team is for all abilities of swimmers from the novice to the competitive: to be able to train in a group environment, to develop more proficient stroke technique, and to be better conditioned.
The lifeguard certification course is designed to provide the participants with the knowledge and skills needed to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. Find out how you can save a life!
We reserve time for members who wish to participate in lap swimming, as well as those who would like to relax and enjoy our pool. It is a great time to workout independently or have family time to play together in the pool. Children under six must be accompanied into the water by an adult. There is no charge to use the pool, however it is not available to non-members.
Please refer to our pool schedules for available times.
- The YMCA believes that every child should be given the opportunity to learn how to swim.
- Financial assistance, to the extent possible, is available to those in need.
- Applications are available at your local YMCA.