Find out what’s included, what to expect, and how to make the most of your membership.
What to Expect
On your first visit, remember to bring your photo ID. We’ll make your membership scan card when you arrive. Everyone on your membership will get a membership scan card. Those who are age 16+ will need to bring a photo ID.
- A few safety measures:
- As pf March 26, 2022, all State and City restrictions have been lifted. Makes are OPTIONAL at the Y. We support anyone who would like to continue wearing a mask, and expect everyone to adhere to our core value of respect for each other's personal choices.
- Be sure not to come to the Y if you are feeling unwell or if you or a household member has an active or suspected case of COVID-19 or are mandated by the State of Hawaii to quarantine.
- Bring a workout towel, a water bottle, and a lock if you’d like to use one of the small express lockers located in our locker rooms or outside of fitness areas.
- Please leave large bags and valuables at home. For storage of keys or personal bags, we ask members to either use one of our express lockers with their own personal lock, or members may wear a fanny pack to store their personal items while exercising. For safety reasons, we do not allow any bags or backpacks on the floor of our facility, and we are not able to store any personal items or bags at our Welcome Center.
- Clean any equipment/machines before and after use [use the provided spray cleaners and paper towels].
- Please ask us questions if you have them. Our staff at our Welcome Center and on the fitness floor are happy to help.
- View complete details on other frequently asked questions.
- You will be asked to self-scan in using the YMCA mobile app on your phone or your membership scan card. Learn how to download the YMCA of Honolulu mobile app on your phone.
- If you forgot your scan card or need assistance downloading and using our YMCA mobile app, our Welcome Center staff is available to assist.
Included with Membership
- Membership includes access to all YMCA Branches on Oahu, including the use of Fitness Centers, Pools, and Group Exercise Classes (in-person and virtual live stream). You can also visit more than 2,700 Ys across the country—just find the Y you want to visit and contact that location for specific details.
- As a member, you have access to all the amenities available at the Y—some are free for members, some have an additional fee, and some are discounted for Y family members. Not all amenities are available at all locations.
- Access to all Facility Spaces: Fitness Center (Cardio/Strength Training Equipment and Machines, HIIT, Functional Training), Gym (Nu’uanu Y only), Heated Pools, Sauna (Nu’uanu Y Sauna is temporarily closed for repairs), and Locker Rooms/Showers.
- Group Exercise Classes and Pool: Advance online reservations for in-person group exercise classes are optional, but you are welcome to use our online reservation system to reserve a spot. Due to popularity, we recommend advance reservations for Pool Group Exercise classes. Please note:
Use of our pools are available during scheduled times on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Jazzercise classes (in-person at Kaimuki and live stream) cost an additional $15 per month to participate in unlimited classes for the month. The fee must be prepaid prior to registering.
- Class Reservations can be made online using your MotionVibe online account or mobile app up to 2 days in advance, starting at 8 am. Learn how to use MotionVibe and our Mobile App.
- Virtual Y: Access to unlimited live stream group exercise classes (more than 100 per week) and on-demand video classes (more than 40). Register in advance using your MotionVibe online account or mobile app. Learn how to use MotionVibe and our Mobile App.
- Community Areas: Where members can socialize, kids can do homework, and kupuna can find classes and activities.
- Outdoor Playgrounds at Leeward and Windward Y
- MotionVibe Online Reservation Account and YMCA Mobile App for Apple and Android: Use your internet connected device or phone to find Y Branch information, schedules, make class and pool reservations, and more. Your YMCA mobile app can also be used to scan in and out.
- Member Guest Passes: Your friends and families are welcome at the Y! Each membership has complimentary guest passes as a member benefit. Guests must be accompanied by a member and have a picture ID. Learn more here.
- Member Get a Member Promotion: Refer your friends/family to join the Y. If they join, they get their Joiner's Fee Waived saving $99 and if they join by May 31, they'll also get $25 in Y Bucks that can be used for membership or program fees. You earn a free month of membership. For details, click here.
Family memberships are the most economical way to join. Family membership options include one to up to four adults and all dependent children (26 years of age or younger) living at the same address.
- Free Childwatch (Up to 2 hours per day): Bring your kids ages 6 weeks and up to 10 years old to the Y while you work out, and they’ll have a blast at our Childwatch centers. Advance reservations are required.
- Note: Currently unavailable due to childcare capacity limits.
- 20% Savings on Group Swim Lessons—all ages can learn this life skill with group lessons.
- 20% Savings on Swim Team—competitive program for kids and teens to work with coaches and improve swimming skills.
- 20% Savings on most Youth and Teen Programs: School Break Day Camps, Summer Day Camps, Camp Erdman Weekly Overnight Summer Camps.
- 20% Savings on Camp Erdman Family Weekend Getaways.
- 20% Savings on most Youth Sports and Martial Arts, Hula and Ukulele Classes—available year-round.
- Note: *The Y Family Membership must be active and current at the time of registration and through the length of the program, camp, or class in order to receive associated discounts. If a Y Family Membership is cancelled or put on hold, any discounts received on current or future programs will be charged back to the account with payment due immediately.
- Personal Training: meet one-on-one with a Personal Trainer to get a tailored plan and stay motivated to reach your fitness, nutrition, and wellness goals. Other options:
- Buddy Training: work out with a friend and a Personal Trainer
- Small Group Training: specialty training for 3-5 people that focus on cardio, strength, or a combination
- Swim Lessons—all ages can learn this life skill with private or group lessons.
- Swim Team—competitive program for kids and teens to work with coaches and improve swimming skills.
- Certifications and Training: Lifeguard Training and YMCA Swim Instructor training.
- Preschool and Early Learning Programs
- Youth and Teen Programs: School Break Day Camps, Summer Day Camps, Camp Erdman Weekly Overnight Summer Camps.
- Camp Erdman Family Weekend Getaways
- Youth Sports and Martial Arts, Hula, and Ukulele Classes—available year-round.
Tips for Success
The Y is a place for whole-life well being—so please ask questions, and try new things to make the most of it!
When you have a question or are interested in trying something new, our Welcome Centers at our Y Branches are a good place to start. Additionally, staff are available to help in our fitness centers with questions you might have about equipment or exercises. You can also contact the Call Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 808-678-4296, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
How long does it take to build a habit? There are many factors that contribute to building a habit, and everyone is different. However, recent studies have found that on average it takes 66 days for a new healthy habit to feel automatic.
Whether you’re new to exercise or new to the Y, here are a few tips to help you succeed: