Find out what’s included, what to expect, and how to make the most of your membership.
What to Expect
On your first visit, remember to bring your photo ID. We’ll make your membership scan card when you arrive. Everyone on your membership will get a membership scan card. Those who are age 16+ will need to bring a photo ID.
- A few safety measures:
- Masks are OPTIONAL at the Y. We support anyone who would like to continue wearing a mask, and expect everyone to adhere to our core value of respect for each other's personal choices.
- Be sure not to come to the Y if you are feeling unwell or if you have an active or suspected case of COVID-19 or per State of Hawaii or CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) guidelines should quarantine or isolate.
- Bring a workout towel, a water bottle, and a lock if you’d like to use one of the small express lockers located in our locker rooms or outside of fitness areas.
- Please leave large bags and valuables at home. For storage of keys or personal bags, we ask members to either use one of our express lockers with their own personal lock, or members may wear a fanny pack to store their personal items while exercising. For safety reasons, we do not allow any bags or backpacks on the floor of our facility, and we are not able to store any personal items or bags at our Welcome Center.
- Clean any equipment/machines before and after use [use the provided spray cleaners and paper towels].
- Please ask us questions if you have them. Our staff at our Welcome Center and on the fitness floor are happy to help.
- You will be asked to self-scan in using the YMCA mobile app on your phone or your membership scan card. Learn how to download the YMCA of Honolulu mobile app on your phone.
- If you forgot your scan card or need assistance downloading and using our YMCA mobile app, our Welcome Center staff is available to assist.
Included with Membership
- Access to all YMCA Branches on Oahu, including the use of Fitness Centers, Pools, and Group Exercise Classes (in-person and virtual live stream). You can also visit more than 2,700 Ys across the country—just find the Y you want to visit and contact that location for specific details.
- Access to YMCA 360 - an exclusive collection of 1,500+ on-demand and livestream classes and activities.
- Access to all the amenities available at the Y—some are free for members, some have an additional fee, and some are discounted for Y family members. Not all amenities are available at all locations.
- Access to all Facility Spaces: Fitness Center (Cardio/Strength Training Equipment and Machines, HIIT, Functional Training), Gym (Nu’uanu Y only), Heated Pools, Sauna, and Locker Rooms/Showers.
- Group Exercise Classes and Pool: Advance online reservations for in-person group exercise classes are optional, but you are welcome to use our MotionVibe, our online reservation system, to reserve a spot. Due to popularity, we recommend advance reservations for Pool Group Exercise classes. Please note:
- Use of our pools are available during scheduled times on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Jazzercise classes (in-person at Kaimuki and live stream) cost an additional $15 per month to participate in unlimited classes for the month. The fee must be prepaid prior to registering.
- Class Reservations can be made online using your MotionVibe online account or mobile app up to 2 days in advance, starting at 8 am.
- Virtual Y: Access to unlimited live stream group exercise classes (more than 100 per week) and on-demand video classes (more than 40).
- Community Areas: Where members can socialize, kids can do homework, and kupuna can find classes and activities.
- Outdoor Playgrounds at Leeward and Windward Y
- Member Guest Passes: Your friends and families are welcome at the Y! Each membership has complimentary guest passes as a member benefit. Guests must be accompanied by a member and have a picture ID.
- Member Get a Member Promotion: Refer your friends and family to join the Y. If they join, they get their Joiner's Fee Waived saving $99 and you earn a free month of membership.
Family memberships are the most economical way to join. Family membership options include one to up to four adults and all dependent children (26 years of age or younger) living at the same address.
- Free Childwatch (Up to 2 hours per day): Bring your kids ages 6 weeks and up to 10 years old to the Y while you work out, and they’ll have a blast at our Childwatch centers. Advance reservations are required.
- Note: Currently unavailable due to childcare capacity limits.
- 20% Savings on Group Swim Lessons—all ages can learn this life skill with group lessons.
- 20% Savings on Swim Team—competitive program for kids and teens to work with coaches and improve swimming skills.
- 20% Savings on most Youth and Teen Programs: School Break Day Camps, Summer Day Camps, Camp Erdman Weekly Overnight Summer Camps.
- 20% Savings on Camp Erdman Family Weekend Getaways.
- 20% Savings on most Youth Sports and Martial Arts, Hula and Ukulele Classes—available year-round.
- Note: *The Y Family Membership must be active and current at the time of registration and through the length of the program, camp, or class in order to receive associated discounts. If a Y Family Membership is cancelled or put on hold, any discounts received on current or future programs will be charged back to the account with payment due immediately.
- Personal Training: meet one-on-one with a Personal Trainer to get a tailored plan and stay motivated to reach your fitness, nutrition, and wellness goals. Other options:
- Buddy Training: work out with a friend and a Personal Trainer
- Small Group Training: specialty training for 3-5 people that focus on cardio, strength, or a combination
- Swim Lessons—all ages can learn this life skill with private or group lessons.
- Swim Team—competitive program for kids and teens to work with coaches and improve swimming skills.
- Certifications and Training: Lifeguard Training and YMCA Swim Instructor training.
- Preschool and Early Learning Programs
- Youth and Teen Programs: School Break Day Camps, Summer Day Camps, Camp Erdman Weekly Overnight Summer Camps.
- Camp Erdman Family Weekend Getaways
- Youth Sports and Martial Arts, Hula, and Ukulele Classes—available year-round.
Making A Reservation
Group Exercise Classes
Choose the convenience of making an online reservation in advance or the flexibility of just popping into any of our more than 100 classes offered weekly in our Y facilities and pools.
Reserve as many classes as you like, up to 2 days in advance starting at 8 am, using MotionVibe, our online reservation system, through your computer/ipad or our YMCA Mobile App where you can browse, select, keep track of, and receive class updates all in the palm of your hand. Be sure to check in for your class at least 10 minutes in advance to claim your reserved spot.
You can also participate in classes without advance reservations. Just check in at the Welcome Center to let us know which class you are interested in joining. While most of our classes have lots of spots open, some popular classes may reach capacity. In those cases, advance reservations are recommended since priority will be given to those with reservations if a class reaches capacity.
Live Stream & On-Demand
Most of our group exercise classes are also live streamed as an added value for our Y Members with unlimited reservations. We also offer an extensive selection of on-demand classes.
Nu'uanu Y Pickleball Courts
Pickleball court advance reservations and walk-in spots are available. Pickleball court online reservations are under the Nu'uanu Y Branch programs category in our online reservation system.
Nu'uanu Y Basketball Court
You can reserve your Nu'uanu Y Basketball free-play court time via our online reservation system or YMCA Mobile App. Under Nu'uanu Y, click on the "Programs" category.
Nu'uanu Y Racquetball Court
You can reserve your Nu'uanu Y Racquetball Court for up to 55 minutes of playtime via our online reservation system or YMCA Mobile App. Under Nu'uanu Y, click on the "Programs" category.
Pool: Lap Swimming, Stationary Water Exercise, and Family Swim Time
Use of our pools for these activities will be available during scheduled times on a first-come, first-served basis. Advance reservations for pool group exercise classes will continue to be available and recommended for those classes that may reach capacity.
You will need to create a new account on MotionVibe, our online reservation system, using your Customer ID number. This is NOT the number under your barcode on your keytag (scan card). If you did not receive your Customer ID number, please contact your YMCA branch or email email@example.com to secure your Customer ID number.
- Go to MotionVibe to create an account.
- Enter your First and Last Name and under “Customer ID” enter your Customer ID Number which is located at the top of this email message.
[Note: This is NOT the number under the barcode on your keytag (scan card). If you have questions about your Customer ID number, please contact your YMCA branch or email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- You will now be asked to create a username and password for our new reservation system.
- You’re Set! You can now make reservations up to 2 days in advance, starting at 8:00am each day by going to MotionVibe.
- Pro Tip: Download our YMCA mobile app. Benefit? You can browse, select, keep track of, and receive class updates all in the palm of your hand via our mobile app.
Tips for Success
The Y is a place for whole-life well being—so please ask questions, and try new things to make the most of it!
When you have a question or are interested in trying something new, our Welcome Centers at our Y Branches are a good place to start. Additionally, staff are available to help in our fitness centers with questions you might have about equipment or exercises. You can also contact the Call Center by email at email@example.com or phone at 808-678-4296, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
How long does it take to build a habit? There are many factors that contribute to building a habit, and everyone is different. However, recent studies have found that on average it takes 66 days for a new healthy habit to feel automatic.
Whether you’re new to exercise or new to the Y, here are a few tips to help you succeed: