Private Swim Lessons
For Ages 3 Years Old To Adult
With a private swim instructor, you will achieve optimal results via appropriate drills and activities. Private swimming lessons allow for flexible scheduling. During your lessons, you will learn proper swimming techniques and receive positive encouragement, motivation, and accountability.
- Private swim lessons are a great opportunity to learn to swim from a skilled teacher on a one-on-one basis. Private buddy (2 students) swim lessons are also available.
- Lessons are available for ages 3 years old to adults.
- Lessons are available in five-session packages.
- Choose between 30-minute or 45-minute sessions.
- All lessons packages are pre-paid and non-refundable. Member rates are not available.
Private Swim Lesson Rates
|Private Lessons: 5 Class Package
(Per 5-Class Package)
|Individual: Five 30-Minute Classes||$185
($37 per class)
|Individual: Five 45-Minute Classes||$250
($50 per class)
|Buddy (2 Students): Five 30-Minute Classes||$275
($55 per class)
|Buddy (2 Students): Five 45-Minute Classes||$375
($75 per class)
How To Register
If you or your child are not currently enrolled in a swim lesson class or you’re not sure what stage you or your child should be enrolled in, download our Swim Lesson Selector as a guide.
Fill out and submit the online private swim lesson request form for the branch where you would like to take lessons:
- Due to extreme high demand, there are long waiting lists at Kaimuki-Wai'alae, Leeward, Mililani, Windward, and Camp Erdman, and we will not be taking new requests for these branches at this time. Please be assured that we are doing our best to work through our list. Once capacity opens up, we will reopen the request forms. In the meantime, please consider registering for group swim lessons here. Group swim lessons are currently kept to no more than 6 students per class.
Upon receipt, the Aquatics Director from the YMCA Branch you selected will contact you within 7-10 business days to update you on the status of your request. Due to high demand your request will be accommodated in the order it is received. Spaces are limited, please submit your request form as soon as possible. Lessons will be filled based on instructor availability.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Camp Erdman
All YMCA Branches, except Camp Erdman offer heated pools. Nu'uanu and Windward's are saline pools. While Camp Erdman's pool is not heated, water temperature averages above 72 degrees.
- What to Bring: Towel and use of goggles is recommended.
- Shower Before and After Lesson: On locker room and deck showers are available before and after lessons.
- Restroom Usage: Please remember to take your child to the restroom before lessons begin.
- Where to sit during swim lessons: We provide limited seating on/around our pool deck for parent/guardian observation of swim lessons. Please check with your YMCA branch location for viewing guidelines for swim lessons.
- If you or your child is not feeling well: Please refrain from coming to the Y. Give us a call to notify the branch aquatics department of your absence.
In general, we encourage children in preschool levels and above to participate in swim lessons independent of their parent/guardian. We encourage parents/guardians to observe your child's progress from the designated viewing area. However, if your child has diverse abilities or special needs which may require a parent/aide's presence in the water, please contact your Y branch location to discuss
- Staff and Instructor Safety Training: All YMCA staff have been trained on safety procedures.
- Parent/Guardian Observation of Swim Lessons:
- We require 1 parent/guardian to remain in the viewing area for the duration of swim lessons. This guideline is a safety standard and ensures a parent/guardian can escort to and from the restroom facilities if needed.
- If you need to cancel your swim lesson, you may reschedule your lesson based on availability with no penalty, if you notify your instructor 4 hours or more in advance.
- There will be no refund or rescheduling for No Shows, No Calls or if you cancel your swim lesson less than 4 hours in advance.
To notify your instructor in advance of a cancellation, please call your YMCA Branch:
- Kaimuki-Waialae: 808-445-0557
- Leeward: 808-671-6495
- Mililani: 808-275-4642
- Nu’uanu: 808-536-3556
- Windward: 808-261-0808
- Camp Erdman: 808-271-6326
Yes, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) issued guidance that it is safe to swim as virus' cannot be spread via chlorinated and maintained water. Our pools meet or exceed the health standards recommended by the CDC and local authorities.
Here is a link to CDC about pools and COVID-19.