YMCA staff enjoy one of the best work environments out there. Our staff, members, participants, families, volunteers, and partners create an ideal sense of community. Other benefits for all YMCA staff include free gym membership, cell phone carrier discounts, transportation discounts, an employee wellness program, and medical/dental plans. Contact Bryan Waiwaiole, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Group Leaders – must be 18 years of age and older. The wage starts at $12.50 an hour and 15-20 hours a week (flexible schedule). Must be interested in working with youth and supporting their development. General hours are Monday-Friday 2pm-5:30pm.
- Swim Instructors – Promote water safety and teach youth how to swim. Starting salary is $11.00 an hour and shifts vary throughout the week including the weekend.
- Lifeguards – Protect our members, youth, and families as a YMCA lifeguard. Starting salary is $11.50 an hour and shifts vary throughout the week including the weekend. To be considered as a candidate you must possess a current professional CPR, Oxygen, AED, and First Aid certification as well as a YMCA or Red Cross lifeguard certification.
- Bus Drivers – if you’re retired or looking for a flexible afternoon position, this is for you. Drivers must possess a clear Hawaii driving history report, clear a drug test and physical, and have a current driver’s license. No CDL is required. Hours are generally Monday-Friday 1:30pm-3:30pm.
Enjoy the largest YMCA facility on the island. With a full sized basketball court, new fitness machines, a growing list of group exercise classes and instructors, racquetball courts, locker rooms, personal training for individuals and groups, child watch during peak hours, and a heated 6-lane, 3 to 11-foot, 25 yard pool there is something for everyone. Contact Samir Teves, email@example.com.
Inquire about classes specific to Arthritis, Parkinson’s, and Diabetes Prevention. The Y is a top choice for Active & Fit, Silver & Fit, and Ohana health plan memberships.
All family membership receive a 20% discount for all youth programs.
Here at Nu`uanu we offer a part-time early education program to help youth socialize and begin to learn with peers. Contact Fatema Taher, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kids Club: 18 months-3 years Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday 8:30a-11:00a
- Preschool classes for toddlers 18-36 months are designed with care to develop each child's individual skills and personality while encouraging cooperation, sharing and fun. The Kid’s Club provides opportunities and experiences which stimulate your child's physical, social, intellectual, and emotional growth.
- PALs: 3 years to 5 years Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday 9:00a-11:30a
- PALS is a part-time preschool enrichment class for toddlers 3-4 years old. A structured environment designed to prepare the child for a formal preschool setting. Includes formalized activities that continue to develop social and behavioral skills along with cognitive, gross and fine motor skills. One teacher per 4-5 children. Call your local Y for details and availability.
- Explorations: 4 years to 5 years Monday/Wednesday/Friday 8:15a-11:15a
- A+ Program (Elementary Age) – The Nu`uanu YMCA oversees the A+ program at the following elementary schools: Ali`iolani, Kauluwela, Lincoln, Ma`ema`e, Nu`uanu, Pauoa, and Royal. Contact Diane Tabangay, email@example.com.
- Club MID (Middle School) – Using our YMCA youth buses, we pick youth up from Kawananakoa and Stevenson middle schools. Club MID is an after-school program focused on the developmental needs and interests of youth. Contact Daryn Hartfield, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn to Swim & Aquatics Programs
Learning to swim is one of the most valuable skills and is known to build confidence and character in our youth. Our lessons are more than just about swimming; they’re about conquering your fears, setting goals, building friendships, and supporting others.
Check out our current class schedules to learn more about our parent-tot, adult, personal, and group lessons as well as our information on joining our swim team:
- Weekday Class Schedules - January
- Weekday Class Schedules - February
- Weekday Class Schedules - March
- Saturday Class Schedules - January to March
- Sunday Class Schedules - January to March
Registration for January to March classes will begin on Tuesday, December 17th, 2019 at 9am.
For more information, contact Neal Yamamura, email@example.com.
About The Nu'uanu YMCA
With its location just north of Downtown Honolulu’s Central Business and Government Districts and the Downtown campus of Hawaii Pacific University, the Nu'uanu YMCA serves all those who live and work in the heart of Honolulu. With its cornerstone dating back to 1963 at its current site, the Nu'uanu YMCA is the biggest YMCA on the island, consisting of 4,800 members and houses the YMCA of Honolulu’s Metropolitan Offices and Youth Department. Nu'uanu YMCA also features a transitional housing program which accommodates 68-single rooms and a community bathroom accommodating all men.