YMCA staff enjoy one of the best work environments out there. Our staff, members, participants, families, volunteers, and partners create an ideal sense of community. Other benefits for all YMCA staff include free gym membership, cell phone carrier discounts, transportation discounts, an employee wellness program, and medical/dental plans. Contact Bryan Waiwaiole, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Group Leaders – must be 18 years of age and older. The wage starts at $12.50 an hour and 15-20 hours a week (flexible schedule). Must be interested in working with youth and supporting their development. General hours are Monday-Friday 2pm-5:30pm.
- Swim Instructors – Promote water safety and teach youth how to swim. Starting salary is $11.00 an hour and shifts vary throughout the week including the weekend.
- Lifeguards – Protect our members, youth, and families as a YMCA lifeguard. Starting salary is $11.50 an hour and shifts vary throughout the week including the weekend. To be considered as a candidate you must possess a current professional CPR, Oxygen, AED, and First Aid certification as well as a YMCA or Red Cross lifeguard certification.
- Bus Drivers – if you’re retired or looking for a flexible afternoon position, this is for you. Drivers must possess a clear Hawaii driving history report, clear a drug test and physical, and have a current driver’s license. No CDL is required. Hours are generally Monday-Friday 1:30pm-3:30pm.
Here at Nu`uanu we offer a part-time early education program to help youth socialize and begin to learn with peers. Contact Fatema Taher, email@example.com.
- Kids Club: 18 months-3 years Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday 8:30a-11:00a
- PALs: 3 years to 5 years Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday 9:00a-11:30a
- Explorations: 4 years to 5 years Monday/Wednesday/Friday 8:15a-11:15a
- A+ Program (Elementary Age) – The Nu`uanu YMCA oversees the A+ program at the following elementary schools: Ali`iolani, Kauluwela, Lincoln, Ma`ema`e, Nu`uanu, Pauoa, and Royal. Contact Zainisha Ogwaro, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Club MID (Middle School) – Using our YMCA youth buses, we pick youth up from Kawananakoa and Stevenson middle schools. Club MID is an after-school program focused on the developmental needs and interests of youth. Contact Tiana Maruyama, email@example.com.
Enjoy the largest YMCA facility on the island. With a full sized basketball court, new fitness machines, a growing list of group exercise classes and instructors, racquetball courts, locker rooms, personal training for individuals and groups, child watch during peak hours, and a heated 6-lane, 3 to 11-foot, 25 yard pool there is something for everyone. Contact Samir Teves, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquire about classes specific to Arthritis, Parkinson’s, and Diabetes Prevention. The Y is a top choice for Active & Fit, Silver & Fit, and Ohana health plan memberships.
All family membership receive a 20% discount for all youth programs.
Learn to Swim & Aquatics Programs
Learning to swim is one of the most valuable skills and is known to build confidence and character in our youth. Our lessons are more than just about swimming; they’re about conquering your fears, setting goals, building friendships, and supporting others.
Check out our current class schedules to learn more about our parent-tot, adult, personal, and group lessons as well as our information on joining our swim team:
- Weekday Class Schedules - August
- Weekday Class Schedules - September
- Saturday Morning Class Schedules - August & September
- Sunday Class Schedules - August & September
Registration for August and September classes will begin on Tuesday, July 23rd at 9am.
For more information, contact Neal Yamamura, email@example.com.
Summer Is Here!
Registration is open. Take advantage of time and register early. Get a family membership or apply for financial assistance to get the best rate. Then sign up for a payment plan and slide into summer. Here is a list of programs we are offering this summer. Please see the attachments for downloadable forms or register online!
Elementary Aged Completed K-4, contact Tahra Hussey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Day Camp @ Nu`uanu YMCA
- Specialty Day Camp @ Nu`uanu YMCA
- Ma`ema`e Elementary - Full Day Program pre/post summer school dates
- Nu`uanu Elementary – Full Day program pre/post summer school and after-summer school care
- Pauoa Elementary – after-summer school care
- Royal Elementary – after-summer school care
- Bricks 4 Kidz® Saturday Camps
Middle School Aged Completed 5-7, contact Tiana Maruyama, email@example.com
- Club MID @ Nu`uanu YMCA
- Specialty Day Camp @ Nu`uanu YMCA
- Kawananakoa Middle School – after-summer school care
High School Aged Completed 8-11, contact Tiana Maruyama, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leaders in Training Volunteer Opportunity @ Nu`uanu YMCA, completed 8-11 – contact Tiana Maruyama, email@example.com
Forms & Documents:
- Summer Programs Flyer
- Summer Youth Registration Form
- Summer Program Barcodes
- LIT Volunteer Application Form
- 2019 Payment Plan
- Parent Handbook
About The Nu'uanu YMCA
With its location just north of Downtown Honolulu’s Central Business and Government Districts and the Downtown campus of Hawaii Pacific University, the Nu'uanu YMCA serves all those who live and work in the heart of Honolulu. With its cornerstone dating back to 1963 at its current site, the Nu'uanu YMCA is the biggest YMCA on the island, consisting of 4,800 members and houses the YMCA of Honolulu’s Metropolitan Offices and Youth Department. Nu'uanu YMCA also features a transitional housing program which accommodates 68-single rooms and a community bathroom accommodating all men.